Friday, May 1, 2015

Ratatouille - it's worth the extra effort, people

This past week really started to feel like spring.  Thus my brain decided that it really needed some vegetables for dinner.  I've tried to make Ratatouille before but the flavors really didn't combine well.  The standard crushed tomatoes I added didn't quite make the cut.  Shout out to my cube neighbor/recipe guru Kat for the base of this one.  I adapted it a little for my own preferences.

Ratatouille:

For Base Sauce:
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cleaned
- 1/2 orange bell pepper, cleaned
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, cleaned

Roast peppers cut side down at 450 for about 15 minutes.

In a sauce pan saute:
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1/2 white onion, chopped,
- 2 or 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 3 medium size tomatoes, chopped
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- salt to taste
Saute while peppers are roasting.  Tomatoes should be breaking down into a sauce.  Add in roughly chopped peppers once ready.  Saute until tomatoes have reduced into a sauce - about 15 minutes.  I like this sauce relatively smooth, so I pulsed the mixture in my food processor for a minute to chop the peppers, leftover tomato chunks, etc.  Spread the mixture on the bottom of a baking dish - I used a 9 x 13 ceramic and it was full.

Cut into 1/16 inch circles:
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium yellow squash
- 1 medium eggplant
- 3-4 roma tomatoes
- salt - LIBERALLY - because these veggies take in a lot of salt

Alternate slices in the dish on top of the sauce.  Over the entire dish sprinkle the following mixture:
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 3 cloves crushed garlic
- salt
- pepper

Top with sprigs of fresh thyme.
Cover with foil and bake in 400 oven for about 1 hour.  Check the tenderness with a fork.  If liquid remains, take off the foil and bake for an additional 20 minutes.

I topped the whole thing off with some grated Parmesan.



No comments:

Post a Comment