Monday, September 23, 2013

Banana Crunch Bread

I finally found this recipe that I had in an old Family Circle cookbook that I don't have anymore.  I love this one because the actual bread uses what I call the "shortbread method" or adding a stick of cold butter into the flour mixture to make crumbs.  In the end you get a "crumbly" type of bread which is delicious!  I toasted some almonds at 350 for about 10 min as I did not have any walnuts and they added a nice crunch!

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup sugar (I usually under fill the 1 cup)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup cold butter, cut in pieces
1 cup mashed ripe banana or a little more
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (optional)
2 eggs1 teaspoon vanilla

CRUNCH TOPPING
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon


Directions:
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 9x5x3-inch loaf pan. (I used a bundt cake today)
Combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in bananas, walnuts, ginger, eggs and vanilla until mixture is just moistened. Spoon batter evenly into prepared pan.
Prepare Crunch Topping: Combine flour, sugar, butter and cinnamon in a small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over batter.
Bake at 350 degrees oven for 70 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool bread in pan 10 minutes. Remove bread and cool on wire rack completely. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.


Recipe adopted from www.food.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment